Landmark development marks a milestone for St Anne's College
St Anne’s has one of the largest Oxford College libraries, but the current Library, built in 1937, was too small for its remarkable collection and for the 750 undergraduate and graduate students who use it. At the end of 2016, work was completed on the Library and Academic Centre which has created a new landmark on the Woodstock Road, opposite Oxford’s new campus, the Radcliffe Observatory Quarter. The building became available to students, staff and Fellows in January 2017, and provides a variety of study and seminar spaces and 1,500 metres of bookshelves for our growing collection of books.
It complements our original library in Grade II listed Hartland House designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Fletcher Priest Architects, who developed plans for the new Library, were inspired by Oxford’s historic buildings and it will become a focal point for the College’s academic life. The first floor includes a large seminar room which will be used to welcome potential students from all backgrounds to St Anne’s, encouraging them to consider applying to Oxford.
The project has also created new green spaces including a roof garden accessible from the first floor, a sunken garden accessible from the lower ground floor and an open area in front of the Ruth Deech Building and Hartland House. The top floor provides working space for St Anne’s Research Centres in the arts and sciences, including The Centre for Personalised Medicine (http://www.well.ox.ac.uk/cpm/home ) and Oxford Comparative Criticism and Translation (http://www.occt.ox.ac.uk ), in addition to two seminar rooms each seating up to 30 people boardroom style or 60 theatre style, one overlooking the Ruth Deech Building and the other Green Templeton College and the Tower of the Winds. We are very grateful to the 500 alumnae and friends who supported this project that marks a milestone for St Anne’s College.